HERE ARE MANY PROJECT IDEAS COLLECTED FROM A VARIETY OF
SOURCES.. YOU MAY OF COURSE CHOOSE YOUR OWN IDEA, BUT HERE ARE A FEW
THAT YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER.
· What are eating disorders? (research and survey)
· Is there a relationship between eating breakfast and school
· On which foods does fungus grow best?
· How does ethylene affect ripening fruit?
· How are teeth affected by fluorides and acids?
· Does the amount of water affect the size of the wave?
· How does the volume of a stream affect its flow rate?
· Where is the current of a stream the fastest?
· Is there a relationship between phases of the moon and our
· What kind of soil is best for water retention?
· Will antacids help soil polluted by acid rain?
· Does human hair affect the growth of plants?
· How does a garden mist spray affect plant growth?
· How does the duration of insolation affect plant growth?
· What is the percentage of water in various fruits and vegetables?
· Which plants and vegetables make the best dye?
· Which type of wildflower grows best under artificial light?
· How does temperature affect the water uptake in celery plants?
· Does the type of water affect the growth of plants?
· Is soil necessary for plant growth? (hydroponics study)
· How does rotation affect plant growth?
· Does music affect plant growth?
· Does a plant grow best in sunlight or artificial light?
· Can plants deprived of sunlight recover?
· What is the relationship between root and stem growth?
· How does gibberellic acid affect plant growth? (growth hormones
· Which color of light causes green beans to grow best?
· Can potatoes be grown without soil?
· How do worms affect plant growth?
· What is the effect of urine on grass?
· What affect do Epsom salts have on plant growth?
· What is in our drinking water?
· Are our local waters acidic?
· Do our soils show the affects of acid rain?
· What is the lime content of various samples of water?
· How polluted is our water? (the trapping and study of bacteria
with a Millipore filter)
· How can we prevent the weathering of our sidewalks and driveways?
· How does topography affect weather conditions?
· Does the topography of an area affect its local weather?
· How do changes in air pressure affect the weather?
· How are all weather factors related?
· Are safe homemade cleansers as effective as commercial cleansers?
· How does particle size affect settling rates?
· Observe the influence of different cooking methods and different
pHs on the appearance, flavor and texture of vegetables.
· How effective is carbon filtration in removing color from
· Does the acidity of apple juice affect how quickly it ferments?
· What percentage of mass is converted to CO2 during the yeast
fermentation of grapes?
· Does sunlight affect the amount of vitamin C in orange juice?
· What relative levels of vitamin C are in different brands
of orange juice?
· What relative levels of vitamin C are in different citrus
Does the choice of foods affect an athlete's performance?
What effect does cooking have on a food's nutritional value?
· Is there a relationship between price and the levels of grease
in various store brands and/or price levels of hamburger meats.
· Is it possible to cook food in a solar oven made from used
boxes and paper? Compare different methods of cooking a potato and
the differences that result in sensory qualities.
· Which brand of popcorn leaves the fewest un-popped kernels?
· What temperature is best for storing microwave popcorn?
· Which storage methods are best at preventing freezer burn?
· Which wrapping would keep sliced apples the longest in a
refrigerator - foil, wax paper, plastic wrap or baggies?
· Does the method of food processing affect the amount of gas
it will produce?
· Compare canning, freezing, pickling and drying as methods
of food preservation.
· Which would make the best Jello - canned or fresh pineapple
· How can ascorbic acid be used to aid in food preservation?
· Examine why assorted fruits turn brown when frozen and explore
methods of retarding down the browning process.
· Determine what factors make foods go rancid and the means
to stop the effect.
How do microwaves work to cook food?
· Do microwaved foods cool faster than baked or stove top foods?
· What factors affect the yield and composition of meat due
· Why and how do large companies and butchers age their meat?
· Does the amount of sugar in homemade ice cream affect how
fast it freezes?
· How and why do food processing plants make their packages
· What is the cause of all the holes that you find in a loaf
· Does the yeast used in making bread create a measurable amount
of carbon dioxide (CO2)?
· Many recipes direct that all dry components be blended together
before adding water or other liquids. What would happen if you mixed
the liquids instead and then added the powders one at a time? Why?
· What ingredients can be used to make pasta? How is pasta
· What is the pH level of various foods? Compare that to preferred
· Compare the levels of unsaturated fats in various cooking
· Examine the causes of mold on food and how molding can be
· Determine the influence of heat on the thermal coagulation
of egg proteins.
· Can we demonstrate the relative healthiness of eggs vs. egg
· What percentage of an orange is made of water? Of other foods?
· Do freeze dried foods have the same nutritional value as
· Compare the taste and texture of freeze dried apples and/or
carrots, which you prepare yourself.
· Compare the freezing time for ice cream using ice versus
ice and salt.
· Compare the amounts of iron in different breakfast cereals.
· Which cereal will stay crispy the longest when placed in
· What is the better fat replacement in oatmeal cookies?
· Research and demonstrate roadbuilding and blacktop paving
by simulating the process with a chocolate pavement.
· Can a collection of local weeds be used for a safely edible
and tasty salad?
· How do enzymes work in breaking down food to digest it?
· What effect does the pH of stomach acid have on food digestion?
· What effects do phosphate detergents have on the oxgen level
of local ponds?
· What is the effect of pollution on aquatic life?
· Is water pollution higher in urban or rural creeks?
· Do chemical fertilizers contribute to the growth of lake
· Examine and compare different methods of water purification
· Can magnetism be used to remove minerals from "hard"
· Research and demonstrate methods of pasteurizing or purifying
water using only sunlight as the source of heat.
· Is there a relationship between well water contamination
and animal pens?
· What is the effect of an oil spill on marine life?
· Examine how various pollutants (animal wastes, fertilizers,
phosphates, acids) affect the growth of bacteria and/or algae in bodies
· Compare the buffer capacity of local water sources and a
means of measuring the relative pollution levels of those bodies of
· Take water samples from several different locations in your
area and test them for pH and fertilizer/sewage contamination.
· How effective is lettuce as a bioassay medium for determining
the toxicity of water contaminants?
· What effect does water turbidity have on dissolved oxygen?
· What are the effects of biodegradable wastes on dissolved
· Is local air pollution getting worse, or is
· Examine and compare different methods of air purification
· From which direction does our area receive the most particulate
· Compare the type and quantity of airborn particles at various
sites near you.
· Does carbon dioxide contribute to warming in a closed environment?
· What aerosols are in the air and does air quality affect
· Does methane contribute to warming in a closed environment?
· Determine if plants make adaptations to compensate for air
· Research and experiment with different plants to see if any
of them can be used as an indicator of air pollution.
· What are the effects on plant life when detergents are added
to the soil?
· Examine and compare the biodegradability of different soap
· How long will weed-killing herbicides contaminate the soil?
(This may end up being a long-term project)
· How does the rate of rainfall affect soil erosion? Demonstrate.
· Compare the effects of Polyacrylamide vs. Polyacrylate on
· Which method works best to control soil erosion?
· Environmental Pollution
· Which type of antifreeze is safest for the environment?
· Which types of paper decompose the most rapidly when buried?
· Which types of cloth decompose the most rapidly when buried?
· Can food scraps and waste quickly and economically be turned
· What is the role of heat and microbes in composting?
· What effect would an oil spill have on plant life?
· Does a student's grade level have a bearing on their knowledge
· Demonstrate how paper can be recycled and paper made at home..
· Demonstrate the greenhouse effect by measuring the temperature
within a light trap (box covered with glass or plastic).
· Where does methane come from and how does it affect global
· Do older students know more about deforestation than younger
· What are the causes of acid rain? Can we duplicate acid rain
in the lab?
· What effect does acid rain have on plant life?
· Is trash incineration a viable alternative to landfills?
· Does the pH of rainwater vary from place to place in our
· Does the composition of a soap solution have an effect on
its surface tension?
· Does soap and water remove grease better than just water
· Can we find out how much phosphorus is in the detergent we
· Which tile cleaner is the best at removing shower stall soap
· Which window cleaner removes stains best?
· Research and demonstrate the fundamentals of soap making
and explain how soaps remove dirt and grease. Reference site
· Is it possible to make soap at home as good as what is bought
in the store?
· What effect do common household detergents have on JELLO?
· Which brand of detergent is the best stain remover?
· Which type of fabric is cleaned best by a selected brand
of wash powder?
· Which cleaner is best for removing stains from cotton cloth?
· Will dry cleaning solutions remove stains better than regular
· Which brand of carpet cleaner is best for removing multiple
· Which toothpaste substance works best to whiten teeth?
· Determine which common kitchen substances will clean pennies
· What is the effect of soap on bubble baths?
· Which household solution will decompose an apple the quickest?
· Can you produce methane or other fuels from rotting vegetation?
· Which common household substance is most corrosive for zinc?
· What is the effect of temperature on the corrosion of aluminum?
· Which common metals will rust fastest in salt water?
· What effect does water pH have on the rusting of nails?
· What effects do chemical deicers have on automobies?
· How can we prevent nails from rusting?
· What effects do common household acids have on different
· How effective are natural antioxidants in retarding soybean
· Demonstrate how basic methods of paper chromatography will
allow the identification of different writing pens.
· Can paper chromatography be used to identify pigmentation
· Can paper chromatography determine the content of colored
· In separating liquids which is best, distillation or paper
· What effect does temperature have on the rate of a chemical
· What is the realtionship between a substance's surface area
and how reactive it is?
· Can a photosynthesis test be used to show which of two cactus
plants was kept in darkness for 24 hours and which was kept in light?
· Does temperature affect the pressure exerted by a gas?
· How much CO2 is producted in a vinegar/baking soda reaction?
· Demonstrate how to use CO2 to make a carbonated soft drink.
· Would vegetable oils be a suitable replacement for diesel
· Is it possible to remove the salt from ocean water so we
can drink it?
· Does sunlight affect the dyes used in colored paper? Does
· Can we determine if our tap water is hard or soft?
· How does hardness of the water affect evaporation rate?
· Which paints hold their color the best when exposed to the
· What effect does tempera paint have of various papers?
· How does humidity affect human hair? Why does it have that
· Which is the effect of different shampoos on the tensile
strength of hair?
· How do natural substances affect human hair?
· What is required to make homemade perfumes?
· Compare rain and/or snow from different locations near your
home for pollution. Determine if it is worse near larger cities and/or
· Which household kitchen wrap is best to protect against seepage?
· How do you make invisible ink? How can you read messages
in invisible ink?
· Explain the role of a catalyst and show how catalysts work.
· What household substances can be used to make natural plastics?
· What factors affect the rate of reaction between rennin and
· Compare the relative hardness of different types of nail
· What is the effect of swimming pool chlorine on bathing suit
· What factors affect how well a piece of cloth is dyed?
· What effect does vinegar have on eggshells? Why? Do other
substances also have similar effects?
· How well does a glucose solution move through the walls of
a chicken intestine and in which direction does it move the easiest?
· Compare how rapidly chicken bones deteriorate when left in
various household liquids such as vinegar, salt water, liquid detergent,
· Can a decalcified bone reabsorb calcium?
· What effects do temperature changes have on chemoilluminescence?
· Show how household vegetables and fruits can be used to generate
· Demonstrate how electricity can break down water into hydrogen
· Demonstrate and compare homemade glues such as those made
from milk or flour. Which is stronger and most durable?
· Fire and Burning- what factors affect burning?
· Fuels and their efficiency in producing energy.
· Musical instruments- the scientific principles behind them
· Music vs Noise- difference
· Pendulums- how can a period of a pendulum be increased?
· Air Pressure- Water Pressure
· Gears- compare efficiencies, effect of different lubricants
· Solar Furnace
· Lenses- effects of curvature, materials on light beams
· Can eggs withstand a greater force from one direction than
· How strong are nylon fishing lines?
· How strong are plastic wraps?
· Which homemade airplane design flies best?
· What factors affect the bounce of a dropped ball?
· How do compression and tension make things strong?
· How strong is a toothpick?
· Which type of lawn sprinkler works best?
· Which type\size of light bulb produces the most light?
· How can the strength of light be measured?- the effect on
· Which materials can be charged with static electricity?
· Which battery lasts the longest?- How can power be increased?
· What affects light reflection?- refraction and diffraction
· Spectrum and colour production- prisms
· How is sound produced? What affects the pitch of sound?-
What affects the volume of sound? - How would you measure the velocity
· Electric Motors- principles and factors effecting their efficiency
· Electric Circuits- factors affecting voltage,amperage, resistance
· Magnets and electromagnets- What affects the strength of
· Buzzers and bells and alarms.
· Internal Combustion engines
· Heat convection- Radiation of heat
· Insulation-best materials, thickness
· How is paint affected by temperature changes?- Elasticity
of rubber; effect of glue.
· Use of solar energy- design and construct solar cookers,
solar panels, etc.
· Designing a strong bridge, an energy efficient home
· Efficient use of renewable energy resources- E.G. Wood, Wind
· Determine the accuracy of various thermometers
· How much heat is required to raise the temperature of various
substances by an equal amount?
· Principle of energy conservation
· Comparing active & passive solar energy systems in cost
· Snow- what happens when it melts; what does it contain; structure
of snow flakes; life in a snowbank
· Sky Colour- account for differences in colour at different
· Wind and Clouds- what are the common wind patterns in your
area and why? Is cloud formation related to height, weather systems
and temperature? Study and record how clouds relate to weather patterns.
· Water levels- study and record varying levels over the year
in a body of water; account for differences and the results on the
· Dew formation- how much is formed on a square meter for a
period of time; account for variations
· Wind-does wind travel at same speeds and in same directions
at different heights?
· Frost formation- what must the temperature be to form first;
what are the effects of humidity? What is the make-up of frost and
· Evaporation- which effects the rate of evaporation
most- temperature, humidity, wind speed or other factors?
· Rain- can you measure the speed and force of raindrops?-What
is the effect on soil, with and without ground cover? Could you simulate
the effect of rain?
· Heat Retention- does fresh water hold heat longer than salt
water? How does water compare to land and what effect does this have
on the weather? What factors affect the cooling of land?
· Sunlight- how do different surfaces affect the amount of
sunlight reflected and absorbed? Design a method of measuring how
much sunshine is available each day.
· Humidity- can you collect the amounts of water in the air
at different temperatures?
· Temperature- what is the difference between direct sun and
in the shade? Is the difference constant?
· Weather records- Design and build an automatic recording
weather device. Test it over a period of time.
· Effects of Humidity- what happens to hair during periods
of changing humidity? How does human hair compare to that of other
animals? How do other materials compare in expansion and contraction.
· Effects of temperature on viscosity of oil, chemical reactions,
Brownian movement, burning of different materials.
· Everyday activities that illustrate chemical principles
· Chemical reactions that produce energy or that require energy
· Testing of consumer products- glues, stain removers, antiseptics,
mouthwash, detergents, paper towels, making salt water potable, removal
· Effects of sunlight on rubber, ink, paper
· Effects of increased concentrations on the rate of chemical
· Compare the pH levels in mouths of various animals and humans
at different times in the day
· Compare the surface tension of various liquids
· Dealing with chemical spills from industry
· Analyzing snow and rain for pollutants; samples from different
· Effects of temperature on density of gases
· Effects of salt and other contaminants on rate of rusting
· Growing crystals- factors that affect the rate and the size
· Can you obtain water from ink, vinegar, milk?
· What effects do different amounts of exercise have on the
production of carbon dioxide in humans?
· Analyze soil samples for their components, ability to hold
moisture, fertility and pH
· Does the amount of particle pollution vary with distance
from a road, with location, with height. Determine types of particles
found in pollution fallout
· Catalysts- how they work and why; commercial applicants and
· Fire extinguishers-principles of operation and factors affecting
their efficient use
· How do acids react with different metals under varying conditions
· Identify different metals by the colour of flame when they
· Can you devise and experiment that will list metals in order
of their activity, from the most potassium to the least active ore
· Electroplating- the principles, how different metals can
be used and the practical applications
· Germination - how monocots and dicots differ - the effects
of heat, light, carbon dioxide, pH level, etc. on germination rate
· Photosynthesis - factors affecting the rate of photosynthesis
temperature, light intensity, water, carbondioxide - part of light
spectrum used in photosynthesis
· Leaf - do the numbers and sizes of stomata vary with different
plants - what happens if stomata are covered and why?
· Roots - how much water is used by different plants - what
is the effect of temperature, sunlight, etc., on the use of water
(transpiration) - how do different types of soils affect the ability
of roots to anchor plants - what factors encourage root growth and
what is the effect of water, oxygen, soil type, minerals on root growth
· Plant growth - determine the effects of various nutrients,
amounts of water, hours of sunlight, strength of weed killer, temperature,
pollutants, pH levels on plant growth and crop yields - can plants
live without oxygen, carbon dioxide - what percentages of various
plants is water
· Genetic Studies - connections between hair and eye colour,
sex and left handedness, hair colour and strength - family studies
· What conditions are favourable for: -fungus growth- E.G.
yeast, mold, mildew diseases -mushroom production -growing brine shrimp
-algae growth -bacteria growth or control- mutations -rooting cuttings
-the survival of Planaria -the growth of nitrogen fixing bacteria
· Field Studies -effects of herbicide spraying, acid rain in
a lake, auto exhausts on a roadside, SO2 emissions on plants, under
hydro lines -types of bacteria found around the home, on the body,
in soil of different types
· Reactions of protozoa to changes in the environment
· The preferred pH level in the soil for various plants
· Products Testing
· Which soap works better
· Which fertilizer makes plants grow healthier
· Which motor oil withstands heat the best
· Which gasoline provides better fuel economy?
· Detergent properties
· Washing in hard water/soft water
· Cell phone reception
· Calculation speed on computers
· Frozen foods and taste
· Radiation to preserve food
· Which videotope maintains the best picture for the greatest
amount of use?
· Which home smoke detector is most sensitive?
· Which engine oil reduces friction the most?
· Which home insulation works best?
· Which self-adhesive floor tile resists wear the most?
· What factors affect the growth of bread mold?
· What type of oil has the greatest density?
· How is the rate of melting snow affected by color?
· Which type of sunglass lens blocks the most light?
· Which materials keep ice cubes from melting for the longest
· Which amount of air space is the best insulator for storm
· Does the human tongue have definite areas for certain tastes?
· Do children's heart rates increase as they get older?
· Does heart rate increase with increasing sound volume?
· Can you see better if you limit the light that gets to your
· How accurately do people judge temperature?
· How does coffee affect blood pressure?
· Does a green plant add oxygen to its environment?
· What percentage of cornseeds in a package will germinate?
· How much of an apple is water?
· Does a plant need some darkness to grow?
· What are the effects of chlorine on plant growth?
· How does centrifugal force affect the germination of corn
· How does light direction affect plant growth?
· How does light direction affect plant growth?
· Which type of line carries sound waves best?
· Which metal conducts heat best?
· Can same-type balloons withstand the same amount of pressure?
· Does the viscosity of a liquid affect its boiling point?
· What materials provide the best insulation?
· What keeps things colder - plastic wrap or aluminum foil?
· Do liquids cool as they evaporate?
· Does the size of a light bulb affect its energy use?
· For how long a distance can speech be transmitted through
· Does the color of a material affect its absorption of heat?
· Does sound travel best through solids, liquids or gases?
· Is the amount of erosion affected by the slope of land?
· How much heat is absorbed by a closed automobile?
Can the sun's energy be used to clean water?