1. What are the three main types of rocks? Click this LINK
a) ___________________ b) ____________________ c)______________________
Click this web LINK for questions #2-#9 :
Igneous rocks are formed from molten magma or lava. The
word, igneous means "fire". All igneous rock starts deep in
the earth as hot, molten magma. If the magma cools and hardens inside
the earth it is called
2. Igneous rocks are formed from _______________ or _________________
3. The word igneous means ___________
4. If the magma cools and hardens inside the earth it is called _________________rock.
5. These rocks cool ____________ and have ____________ crystals.
6. When the magma comes out of the earth's crust through a volcano, it is called "_____________".
7. It cools off ___________, and the crystals that form are very __________.
8. Molten, or hot, liquid rock is called __________ when it is still inside the earth, but once it comes out through a volcano it is called _____________.
9. Name four types of IGNEOUS rocks
_______________ __________________ ___________________ _________________
10. Sedimentary Rock
Click these two links to learn how sedimentary rocks form
to see a sedimentary rock animation
This LINK will help you to answer the following questions:
11. Every minute of every day, rocks are being worn down by _________ and __________.
12. Tiny grains of __________, _____________, _____________ and ____________ are worn off and washed into streams, rivers, lakes and oceans. When these tiny bits of sand and dirt settle to the bottom of the water, they are called ___________.
13. _______________ in the water and microscopic, or very tiny sea animals also get mixed in with the dirt and sand to form the sediment.
14. Every day more sediment _________ on top of what is already there.
15. After thousands and ____________ of years we end up with a really deep pile of sediment.
16. The ____________ and _____________ from all the stuff
on top turns the sediment on the bottom into sedimentary rock!
17. Name 5 types of sedimentary rocks: Click this LINK for help
_________________ _________________ __________________ _______________ _________________
Metamorphic rock: Click HERE to help you answer questions #18-25
Metamorphic rocks are formed when other kinds of rocks are changed by great heat and pressure inside the earth. The word "metamorphic" means CHANGED. Think of metamorphic rocks as recycled rocks. When igneous, sedimentary or even metamorphic rocks get buried deep beneath the surface of the earth, over millions of years the heat and Pressure inside the earth change them into something else.They contain distorted crystals. Limestone can be changed to marble, sandstone can be changed into quartzite, and shale can be changed to slate. It's just another example of how the earth is constantly changing!
18. Metamorphic rocks are formed when other kinds of rocks are changed by great _________ and _____________ inside the earth.
19. The word "metamorphic" means _______________.
20. Think of metamorphic rocks as ________________ rocks.
21. When _____________, __________________ or even __________________ rocks get buried deep beneath the surface of the earth, over millions of years the heat and pressure inside the earth change them into something else.
22. Limestone can be changed to ______________,
23. Sandstone can be changed into ________________
24. Shale can be changed to __________________.
25. Unscramble these five types of metamorphic rock Click here for hints
____ ____ ____ ______ _______
anrleb lsaet sngesi prgeaith zuaqrttei
27. Click on Moh's hardnes Scale to answer the following questions :
Fill in the following chart for Moh’s Hardness Scale
28. Make up a 10 word sentence to help you remember the minerals in Moh’s hardness scale (in order) using the first letter of each mineral T G C F A F Q T C D
29. What are 9 properties that can be used to identify minerals? Click HERE
WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED, SHOW YOUR WORK TO MR YUEN AND HE WILL GIVE YOU THE BONUS ASSIGNMENT!